Wednesday, December 29, 2010

"Gilding the lily"... Part 2

Interestingly, this common phrase is (like so many others) a mis-quotation from Shakespeare. The quote, from King John (1595), actually reads:



To gild refined gold, to paint the lily,
To throw a perfume on the violet...
Is wasteful and ridiculous excess.



While I was waiting for terrain-glue on the Llama Dioramma to dry, I picked up my new 5/0 brush and this figure, which has been sitting untouched. I'd already primed it and blocked in the clothes and the skin base shades, but she needed detailing and an appropriate facial expression.
Here’s Josie the Survivor, modified from Hasslefree’s Kendra figure. There are a few tiny touch-ups still to be done, but I’m pretty pleased.

Sorry about the grainy photo - among the future projects is the construction of a simple light tent for shooting these things...
All that needs to happen is to free her from her cardboard painting base and to glue her securely to one of the 20mm transparent bases I ordered from Litko Aerosystems.

I saw photos of AKULA’s minis on clear bases and loved the “invisible” look.

Litko’s website allows one to specify custom bases, and I chose the 1/16th inch (1.6mm) clear acrylic material. So often, 28mm figures are seen standing atop these plinth bases that are 3-5mm thick, which adds six to ten scale inches to their height. No wonder cars and doorways look so small!

No comments:

Post a Comment