Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Gilding the Lily

I've always been enamored of Kev White's work. The man's an artist and his sculpts at Hasslefree Miniatures are sort of a gold standard for lithe, elegant miniatures. So it's pretty arrogant to presume to "correct" his work.

I picked up a small selection of his pieces through a local stockist (Armorcast, who still owe me an Alyx) and they're lovely. After some consideration, his Kendra was the ideal figure to represent the pistol-packing love of my life, my beautiful bride Josie. But there were some changes that Kendra needed to make.

She needed a new hair-do, and I discovered upon closer examination that she needed a far more determined chin if she was going to play my wife on the field of combat. So I pulled out my files, an Exacto knife, my small stash of ProCreate putty and a handful of sculpting tools I've either bought or made over the years, and I set to work...

Here's Kendra as she arrived from the caster. Mr. White’s smooth surfaces and crisp details look far better in real life than this photo properly conveys.

In this profile shot, you can see her chin. It definitely needs a little something....

I filed off the front of the hair-do (prepatory to removing the entire thing, eventually) and used a very tiny bit of putty to rework her chin. I love ProCreate because, after it’s cured, it can be shaved with a sharp blade. This made “correcting the corrections” to her new chin much easier.

I started the hair, then hated it, so this photo represents a false start, coiffure-wise.





Here’s Kendra, her transformation into Josie practically complete. I carefully studied how my darling bride’s hair waves when she’s not concerned with straightening it, and how it flips off her forehead when she tosses her head in annoyance. I thought that gesture suited the hand-cannon this figure’s toting…

Anyone who crosses Josie on the playing field is in for a world of hurt.






Now all that remains is to paint the figure in Josie’s favorite black silk SWAT trousers and one of her carefully-selected crop-tops.

And, yes, she is that lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment