Tuesday, December 7, 2010

So why "The Cellar Dweller"?

My workbench is tucked into a corner of our basement. When I have spare time (not that often, given that we're revamping and maintaining a house that's turning 100 years old next year), I descend into the cellar, duck under the heating ducts that threaten my crown, and ease my way past the thicket of adjustable support columns that keep the floor above actually above me. I flick on three or four separate lamps, turn on the heater (vital at this latitude and time of year) and put in a CD. Then I can sit down at my cluttered bench and decide which projects I have to move to unearth the one I want to work on.




On the list of house projects - after the bathroom and kitchen renovations and the wife's yoga room (which needs new plaster, mouldings, trim, floors and paint)- is a revised and expanded workbench, to incorporate my woodworking tools as well as my hobby gear...

It will happen. I swear it will.

No comments:

Post a Comment